Favorite Banana Bread (vegan option)
I recently served both the vegan and regular options for this bread at a church breakfast and everyone asks for the recipe! The crushed pineapple makes it so moist.
- 2 cups all purpose flour (I use white whole wheat for this)
- 1 1/2 cups sugar (I use raw)
- 3 bananas (mashed)
- 2 *eggs OR flax eggs (see recipe note)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup crushed pineapple (drained)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup chopped black walnuts or pecans (optional)
- 2 Tablespoons butter, melted (for vegan, see recipe note for topping)
- 2 Tablespoons flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup pecan, chopped (optional)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mash bananas with potato masher or pastry cutter or fork. Combine all ingredients. Spread batter into two loaf pans. Mix topping ingredients and sprinkle on top. Bake for 45 minutes then test with a toothpick. Bake up to one hour, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
*FOR VEGAN: To make flax eggs, combine 1 Tablespoon flax meal with 2 1/2 Tablespoons water for one egg. Double for the 2 eggs needed in this recipe. Let set for a few minutes and combine into batter IN PLACE of using the eggs.
Instead of mixing a topping, just sprinkle brown sugar over the top and kind of press it down into the batter a bit before baking. People LOVED the vegan version of this bread.